Last night I let myself think about what I’d do if the HyVee Triathlon has to go into “contingency plan” mode. The drought here has been bad for water levels in the river where the pro athletes will race. Of course, they could always move them to the lake where the age groupers race since the pros race later in the day. As far as I can tell, the lake where the age group athletes race is still okay, but we have one more month of dry weather to go before the event.
I hadn’t before considered what I’d do if I was registered for a race that became a dry tri (or run/bike/run) but it made my tummy sink. I’m an uncomfortable cyclist (at best!) and a slow runner (Over the weekend I finally managed to split a 5K in under 11 minute miles…running the entire way!) Swimming is really the only part of a race I feel comfortable doing. I think I’ve concluded that if the universe and mother nature are jerks and make it so I can’t swim, I’d just do the first run and then the bike for training on the bike route. I’d probably quit after that and just call it a good practice (since I’d be in last place anyway by that point).
After watching the Olympics women’s cycling in the rain on TV it suddenly dawned on me that it could be raining on race day (not that we’ve been getting much rain lately…but with my luck!) For the first time I stopped to consider what I’d do in that case. I have never, ever biked in rain, or even remotely wet pavement. I’m such a bike novice that it would probably be unsafe for me to even try (both for me and other athletes around me) so I’d probably do the swim for a split time and maybe (if it would be possible) wait awhile and then just try to do the run to experience the course without finishing in the chute and call it a good practice.
Have you ever been in a dry tri or a triathlon that had weather issues? I need to put it out of my mind since there is no use worrying about something you can’t control…but that’s easier said than done!